Industry News

Industry News

Merino wool prices in Australia have risen sharply in this season, despite this week’s decline. What has happened to wool prices in some of the other major wool producing countries? The contrast between superfine wool prices in Australia with prices for other wool’s is stark, particularly for broader wool from NZ and the UK. The Australian Eastern Market indicator is currently 19% higher than at the start of the 2016/17 season, while the 18 Micron Price Guide is up by 43%. The South African CapeWools Indicator is up by 18% in A$ terms.

In contrast, NZ fine Crossbred prices are 31% lower and UK wool prices (based on the British Wool Marketing Board’s Market Indicator) are 22% lower. All prices are in A$ terms. Keep in mind that 80% of the UK’s wool production is 32.6 micron & broader, with the remaining 20% being 25 to 32 micron wool.

Full details, including a chart showing the trends in wool prices in Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, are included in the NCWSBA Weekly Newsletter for the week ending 31st March 2017. Available to NCWSBA members.

NCWSBA Logo Welcome

NCWSBA logo white


The National Council of Wool Selling Brokers of Australia


National Council of Wool Selling Brokers of Australia



You need to enable user registration from User Manager/Options in the backend of Joomla before this module will activate.